The Lake Annecy International Marathon is an iconic race that attracts thousands of runners from all over the world every year. This marathon organized since 1980 is one of the most beautiful in France and has become an unmissable event for all running enthusiasts wishing to discover magnificent landscapes. The next edition of the Lake Annecy International Marathon will take place on the weekend of April 15 and 16, 2023.
The history of the Lake Annecy International Marathon
Since 1980, the historical club of the Annecy basin, Annecy Haute-Savoie Athlétisme, has been organizing the Annecy marathon, one of the running events with an international scope. Since then, the event has grown to become one of the most popular marathons in France. Indeed, each year, nearly 10,000 runners are on the starting blocks and take part in this race. Since 2021, the AHSA has set up a collaboration with the company Feelingjack, a specialist in events and digital, in order to offer all runners the best possible experience as well as impeccable service.
Several races will take place over the weekend:
- The Lake Annecy International Marathon
- The International Lake Annecy Half-Marathon
- The 10 km of Lake Annecy
- The 5 km of Lake Annecy
- The Lake Annecy Youth Race, for children aged 7 to 15
- The Nordic Walk of Lake Annecy
A route between lake and mountain
The course of the International Lake Annecy Marathon is considered one of the most beautiful in France. Indeed, the 42.195 km of the course gives you the chance to run on an exceptional site between lake and mountains. The Venice of the Alps will offer you a race crossing exceptional sites such as:
- Le Pâquier or the green lung of Annecy,
- Charles Bosson Park and its century-old trees
- the Marais de l'Enfer and its abundant vegetation,
- and many other marvelous sites…!
Departure and arrival are in Annecy on avenue d'Albigny. The route proposed by the organizers runs along the left bank of Lake Annecy and runs through Annecy, Sevrier, Saint-Jorioz, Duingt and Doussard. The runners take the road and the cycle path alternately and return by an almost identical path. The route is almost flat (100m drop), the road traffic is not very annoying and the landscape very pleasant. Regarding the entertainment and most of the services offered by the organization, they take place on the Pâquier.
The organization of the International Lake Annecy Marathon
The organization of the event relies on significant logistics mobilizing dozens of volunteers. This sporting event improves from edition to edition by offering many services to marathon runners and half-marathoners each year:
- A T-shirt for each participant
- Presentation of trophies
- The payment of bonuses, prizes and vouchers
- Musical entertainment
- The presence of pacemakers during the races
- A photography service for runners A shuttle service
- The guarantee of the Athlé international label of the FFA
- Finisher medals
- Setting up supplies
- A buffet upon arrival
- Eco-responsible waste management
- A shower service
- Locker rooms guarded A
- service of physiotherapists, osteopaths and masseurs.
But also, the partners of the event also provide their financial and logistical support to guarantee the success of the event. Additionally, rider safety is a top priority, with measures in place to ensure safety on the course and in the finish areas.
Spectators can attend departures and arrivals according to the schedule below:
- Half-marathon on April 15, 2023: start at 8:30 a.m., avenue d'Albigny
- Youth race (750m) on April 15: departure at 2 p.m. on the Pâquier
- Marathon on April 16, 2023: departure at 8:30 a.m., avenue d'Albigny and first arrivals from 10:40 a.m. 9km
- Nordic walk on April 16, 2023: departure at 9:30 a.m. from the Quai de la Tournette
- 10km course on April 16, 2023: departure at 9:30 a.m., avenue d'Albigny